Have a K-7, getting Nikon D40...

Started Apr 16, 2010 | Discussions thread
audiobomber
audiobomber Veteran Member • Posts: 5,764
Re: Have a K-7, getting Nikon D40...

Alek79 wrote:

Tell me what you think, any suggestions, alternatives?

The D40 was a direct competitor of the K100D Super when I was buying my first DSLR. It was clear to me at the time that Pentax offered by far the beter deal... SR, in-body motor, dust control, rugged build, better menus, better kit lens, wide access to legacy lenses, nicer colours (WB), lower price, superb selection of primes.

I suggest the K100D Super with a Pentax or Tamron 18-250 and a low light prime. That was my second kit and my wife loved it so much that I never got to use it on outings. Yes, the superzoom makes noise when it focusses, but it's amazing for what it is; a superzoom that compares in IQ to anyone's kit lenses. I guess I'm not tuned into AF noise because I rarely even notice, but if that's a deal-breaker, there's the DA 17-70. The selection of affordable primes is huge if you include second hand. The F or FA 28mm' are beauties. There are numerous F and FA 50mm 1.4 and 1.7's and the FA 50 is still available new for a reasonable price. I just bought a DA 40mm pancake for under $400. The Sigma 10-20 is available in K-mount, and the big advantage is you can use any of the lenses on both cameras.

There are several makers who offer inexpensive P-TTL models (Metz, Bower, Vivitar, etc).
--
Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow