Have a K-7, getting Nikon D40...

Started Apr 16, 2010 | Discussions thread
djezraj Contributing Member • Posts: 740
Re: Have a K-7, getting Nikon D40...

Overall I agree with both mark and Roland.

My brother in law has a D40 that I have used and viewed photos he took simultaneously to me with my K10. Overall the images are similar in ways but the thing that stands out with the D40 are

Pro's
Light
Good auto flash exposure
Decent auto exposure
beginner friendly (to a point)

Con's
Skin tones to warm to my tastes (correcting every photo a pain)
no focus motor built in.
35 1.8 not sized
too much menu diving for my taste
Older kit lens weaker than Pentax

O see this camera as a great auto camera and for a song you may not care about the cons. But even my good friend who shoots Sony simply can not ignore the excellent value and performance of the KX

The only thing I will say stands out for Nikon is the flash exposure seems quite good in auto but Im not disappointed with my K10ds performance overall but Im biassed.(who isn't)

However after comparing shots taken side by side I do prefer the K10 D's shots overall.

I guess its relative though to your needs the D3000 or D40 with the 35 1.8 certainly is a interesting kit but i would still take the Kx DA35 in a second but Apples and oranges depending on your view
Good luck
Roger

djezraj's gear list:djezraj's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow