Started Apr 16, 2010 | Discussions thread
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,148
Re: Have a K-7, getting Nikon D40...

Alek79 wrote:
Very informative post Eric,

viking79 wrote:

Alek79 wrote:

The 16-45, as much as I like it is, a little short and on K-7 started showing its corner weakness which was not apparent on my previous K100D.

My copy does have a bit of extreme corner weakness at some apertures/focal lengths, but no more than many lenses.

I definitely need a true wide-angle.

Buy a Sigma 10-20 or soon to be released 8-16mm, I would recommend the Pentax 12-24mm, but it might overlap too much with your 16-45mm.

Sigma is half the price of Pentax, so I guess it's obvious. I'll get it in either P or N mount. The 8-16 looks nice but I'm not sure it will be available in K mount - see today's announcement on DPR.

From DPR:

April 15, 2010: Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd is pleased to announce that the suggested retail price of the new 8-16mm f4-5.6 DC HSM is £799.99. This new lens will be available at the end of April in Sigma, Canon and Nikon fit. Sony and Pentax will follow shortly.

Sigma is always a Month or two behind with Pentax/Sony mounts Probably release the best sellers and their own mount first then follow with the lesser selling brands.

Buy a second body? Not sure if you have looked at some of the new mirrorless systems or not. They are much more compact than any SLR.

Yes I have but somehow I haven't been convinced so far. They lack true wide angles, portrait lenses. For the moment their versatility seems a bit illusional.

I agree, was just mentioning it The NX-10 looks like a pretty good value, too bad it isn't better at high ISO. I am waiting for a mirrorless full frame (cheaper than a Leica M9).

Looking at possible options I came to this: Get a Nikon D40 (250-300$ 2nd hand) + Sigma 10-20 (450$ 2nd hand) and/or Nikkor 16-85VR (500$ 2nd h.) + SB-400 flashgun (130$) + Nikkor 35/1.8 (250$).

Lots of overlap between the Sigma and the Nikkor, and the Sigma is strongest towards 20mm, but sometimes overlap is good. Maybe consider the soon to be released Sigma 8-16mm, or get a wider range 18-200mm (I know this isn't as good overall as the 16-85mm though) or third party 18-250mm.

I have really become used to 16mm on the wide end. Megazooms above 100mm are useable only in bright sunlight, don't need that slow range at the expense of wide end.

Fair enough.

Nikkor 30/1.8 - no Pentax equivalent. And finally D40 - beautifuly compact, quiet shutter, 1/500 (!) flash sync speed and my beloved 6MP sensor. Do you really need more for travel?

True, but one could argue there is no equivalent lens to the Pentax 31mm f/1.8 on Nikon.

As said in other posts, I specifically consider budget options. For 1.2k$ the 31ltd costs I think I could improve my photography considerably by investing in flashes, some unusual lenses or simply by traveling...

My point was not to compare the 31 to the 35mm f/1.8, my point was that Nikon has no really nice full frame 30-35mm lenses. Canon has the 35mm f/1.4L and Pentax has the 31mm f/1.8 ltd., but Nikon just has the lower priced 35mm f/2.

I think Nikon is working on changing that though as they are releasing some high end primes like the 24mm f/1.4. The 31mm f/1.8 is generally better corrected than a less expensive 35mm f/2 or the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 DX. So yes, the 31mm is $1.2k, but it is also a different class of lens than the 35mm f/1.8. Nikon doesn't offer that class of lens for that focal length for full frame (or even APS-C).

My point is each brand has different strengths and weaknesses. A strength of Nikon is they offer an entry/mid level 35mm standard prime.

I find people often come up with excuses to justify switching systems, rather than actually needing to switch. Heck, I have done it myself on numerous occasions. But the bottom line is you have to go with what fits your budget and your needs. I won't try to argue you stick to Pentax, but depending on your usage you might not find the grass any greener with Nikon (except if you shoot JPG).

I don't want to jump ship, I'm just thinking of adding another on to the fleet besides, I've already owned a Nikon D80 in parallel with k100D and sold the Nikon so I'm not loosing sleep over what's on the other side.

I say buy the Nikon then. However, what draws you to the d40 over say the D3000 or D5000? (out of curiosity)

I have shot two systems too, and don't mind doing it. It does get a bit tedious, unless you play off the strengths of each. There isn't much point in having say a Nikon with a 16-85 and the Pentax with a 17-70 as they both do the same thing (unless you just want/need 2 cameras).

An example of a good complimentary system might be the Nikon D3s with a 14-24mm f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 and a Pentax K-7 with the 15/21/35/70 mm ltd lenses.

My thought for a travel system would likely be a Sigma 10-20mm, Pentax 18-250mm, and a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 (or Pentax 31mm f/1.8). Or my personal setup right now is the Pentax 16-45mm f/4 and 60-250mm f/4, and Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Pentax A 50mm f/1.4, and Rokinon 85mm f/1.4.

Very nice setup you have there but 60-250 is to steep for me. Besides, I guess I would prefer 70-200/2.8 for that extra stop but it's a personal matter.

Yes, there are times I wish I had my 50-135mm f/2.8 back (I sold so I could get the 60-250mm), but overall for my shooting style the 60-250mm was the better choice. I am not a big fan of the 70-200mm focal range as I always want a little wider or a little longer (just my shooting style).

Eric
--
I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://viking79.blogspot.com/ (Weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)
See my PPG Shots: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/erictastad (8/31/09)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow