What's Your Keeper Rate?

Started Apr 8, 2010 | Discussions thread
ShawnR Regular Member • Posts: 424
Re: What's Your Keeper Rate?

What's your best lens, and what's your keeper rate?

Not quite sure what you mean by "best lens". Most often I have an 18-200 on a D90 or D300. In terms of sharpness, best lenses are Tokina 11-16, Nikkor 24-70 and 105 micro.

Keeper rate on landscape is about 90% with the 10% rejects due to unacceptable levels of noise. Inanimate objects is around 75%, trashing images that just weren't as interesting as I thought they would be. Fast moving wildlife has a keeper rate of around 25% using a Sigma 150-500. I lose a lot of images due to focus or poor framing. It's hard tracking a fast moving object trying to fill 40-50% of the frame when shooting in the 400-500mm range (600-750mm equivilant on D90).

I suspect everyone has experienced a poor keeper rate entering the world of photography. Many probably get their 1st camera, quickly read basics of what the switches and buttons on the body do, and run out shooting everything under the sun. Digital has made it very easy to do - instant gratification or rejection. Once the novelty of the camera wears off a lot of folks start spending more time understanding elements of exposure and composition. That's when the keeper rate starts to climb. For other folks the camera is always relied upon to provide good images and keeper rates usually remain low.

Review why your not keeping photos. Is it focus, exposure, boring subject, camera shake, composition? Identify the most common reason, and keep it in mind next time your out with a camera.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow