7D JPEG burst mode

Started Apr 2, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TripleC11 Junior Member • Posts: 31
7D JPEG burst mode

I recently purchased a new 7D and have been catching up on the new changes in technology since my last DSLR purchase. I am confused about the newer, faster memory cards and how they effect performance of JPEG burst modes. Not that I need to shoot 100+ JPEGs in a row, but I have seen spread over the web the claim that the 7D can support continuous shooting maintained at 8.0 fps for large, fine JPEG bursts of up to 126 frames with UDMA cards. When I purchased my 7D I also bought a Sandisk Extreme IV 4GB CF UDMA card with a write speed of 45 mb/second. With this card inserted in the 7D, the camera tells me that it can only do a maximum burst of 63 large, fine JPEGs. So basically I am trying to understand why this is the case and was wondering if anyone could enlighten me. My guess is that the card is a bit older and the 126 burst claim is based on the newest Extreme Pro UDMA 6 cards that write 90 mb/sec. I am assuming this, possibly wrongfully so, after recognizing my cards speed and burst limit equaling exactly half of the same specs on this card and the claim of up to 126 frame bursts. Does this make sense? Can anyone confirm or deny my claims? Does anyone else have the same card I have and get the same readout of 63 frames, or is there something wrong with camera? If I got a newer, faster card would my camera indicate that it could do the 126 frame bursts? Thanks in advance...

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow