Does Mac need Norton?

Started Mar 26, 2010 | Discussions thread
Mauro.B
Mauro.B Senior Member • Posts: 2,487
No, then no, then again no

In current OSX configuration, any potential virus or trojan trying to install itself into your system would ask for your administrator password.

Had you ever experienced an administrator password request when surfing the net ?

In my entire Mac experience, that happened to me just once, a couple of years ago: I simply closed the request window.

On the contrary, with my Windows pc's I have two or three Internet-related "major crises" per year and at least a serious attack per month (bypassing Nod32).

Consequence is that I am more cautious on the net with my two "overprotected" pc's than with my "unprotected" Mac's: if I have to open a shady site, Mac is the way to go.

Do not worry about Norton, or whatever alternative, for the time being. Any protection software would have two certain effects: drain some money from your bank and some resources from your Mac. That could change in the future, but not before OSX successor (OSXI ?).

M

-- hide signature --
 Mauro.B's gear list:Mauro.B's gear list
Ricoh GR Leica Q Leica M10 Sony a9
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow