EXR: picture size 'L' (HR) useless - better stay with 'M' (SN/DR) !

Started Mar 20, 2010 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
daggochgryning Regular Member • Posts: 175
EXR: picture size 'L' (HR) useless - better stay with 'M' (SN/DR) !

MY PROOF

The following crops are from two shots straight out of my S200EXR.

The first one shows a crop taken from an EXR HR image @ 12 mega pixels, while the second one shows the same area cropped from the same image after downsizing it to 6 mega pixels using Sinc (Lanczos3) in The Gimp.

The third one shows the corresponding area cropped from an EXR DR image @ 6 mega pixels.
The in-camera sharpness setting was the same for both shots.

THE EVIDENCE

The 12 mega pixel image (HR) looks bloated, lacking any per-pixel sharpness. Although the in-camera noise suppression was set to the lowest possible setting for all pictures, there seems to be a heavier smudging of details in the 12 mega pixel shot.

The downsized image (simulating picture size 'M' in post-processing) looks a bit better, as expected.

Watch out now! The 6 mega pixel image (DR) looks sharpest on pixel level, revealing much more fine detail than the 12 mega pixel image. Have a close look at the conifer!

MY CONCLUSION

The F200EXR and S200EXR don't come close to the S100FS resolutionwise. Telling the truth, the F200EXR and S200EXR are 'better 6-mega-pixel cameras' with excellent performance DR-wise. They should be regarded as 2x6 mega pixel cameras rather than as real 12 mega pixel cameras. This is somewhat similar to the Fujifilm S5Pro that wasn't a 16 mega pixel camera either but an 8 mega pixel camera with each color-filtered pixel being accompanied by a second luminance-sensitive pixel.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Wolfram

Visit my private photo homepage:
http://www.daggochgryning.de

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow