550d Zooming during movie

Started Feb 26, 2010 | Discussions thread
caterpillar Veteran Member • Posts: 7,637
Re: 550d Zooming during movie

zombieball wrote:

I almost feel like I may need to move to a videographer's forum for questions the T2I has brought about for me, but here I go nonetheless:

While I do not own a 550d (yet, considering the switch), I am curious: While filming a movie how does one zoom in on an object while simultaneously focusing? Is this possible to do while filming handheld? Maybe I am missing something.

Thanks!

It has to be on a tripod. And the puller/operator have a smooth touch as the zoom ring is on the lens. There is no rocker switch as in true videocams. This is going to be tough, as far as maintaining a steady continuous zoom when it will take several rotations on the focus ring.

Also, the lens has to be parfocal. It means, it must maintain the initial focus otherwise, there is added work to re-acquire focus.

-- hide signature --

• Caterpillar

'Always in the process of changing, growing, and transforming.'

caterpillar's gear list:caterpillar's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow