Another GF1 RAW vs. JPEG comparison

Started Feb 18, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Robert Deutsch Forum Pro • Posts: 10,226
Another GF1 RAW vs. JPEG comparison

There have been a number of posts comparing RAW vs. JPEG images, the results usually favoring RAW, sometimes to a startling degree. I shoot RAW exclusively with the Canon 5D and G10, and with the GF1 I've been shooting RAW+JPEG. I normally use CS3, but since it doesn't support ACR5.6 (which you need for the GF1 RAW files), I bought PSE8.0, which includes this latest version of ACR. I've made several comparisons between my normal jpeg workflow in CS3 (where I start with opening the jpeg file in ACR "As Camera Raw," making adjustments as needed) and the RAW files in ACR5.6 in PSE8.0, again trying to optimize the IQ. Here's one such comparison. I won't describe the settings in detail, but they're either the same, or some adjustments have been made to optimize them (taking into account the fact jpeg's in-camera settings). The GF1's in-camera settings of NR and Sharpening were both set to -2. The posted resized images are 1280 pixels wide, a bit bigger than the 1024 that I usually post, to make it easier to see any differences. The first image is based on the in-camera jpeg, the one below it on the RAW. The 7-14 on the GF1 was set at 7mm, f/4, 1/20, ISO200.

Comments?

Bob

Robert Deutsch's gear list:Robert Deutsch's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow