Rob Galbraith Generally Likes the D3S!

Started Feb 11, 2010 | Discussions thread
terry chay New Member • Posts: 5
Re: Rob Galbraith Generally Likes the D3S!

gnjphoto wrote:

This is evidence of how Nikons focusing on performance instead of pushing out High MP cameras is paying off to those who know better and are not caught up in the MP war. 12MPs and FF is great for sports.

I think you are confounding two things. The reason I say this is because megapixels are a different part of the optical chain than autofocus performance. In that area it’s about Nikon high ISO (or dynamic range in the case of the D2X) vs. Canon’s megapixels.

What the article really shows is that the Nikon SRS/AF integration is a really tough nut for Canon to crack (three years and counting). Personally, I’m not surprised. In a lot of situations (speed skating where they’re in full body track suits on white ice, lots of swaying out of the frame), I expect the assist from the 1005 area RGB to be a big one.

It seems the only areas currently where Canon gets the edge sound very contrasty (soccer when lit at night in a couple shots, track and field running toward camera during the day)—my guess is the SRS data is unusable at those moments. Another possibility is that the Canon is simply more aggressive at servo-ing the AF (which does explain the lock out in the MkIV at the end of the ice skating heat).

Still shocked that the Canon does horrible indoors. On paper, it should outperform Nikon (larger area based AF). Must be some bugs in their AF they need to work out.

Oh well, I shoot Nikon so I guess this is a win for me.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
FKS
ccz
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ccz
ccz
ccz
ccz
ccz
ccz
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow