7hi is actually SLOWER than 7i

Started Sep 25, 2002 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bill E. Regular Member • Posts: 202
7hi is actually SLOWER than 7i

I just tested how long it took my new 7hi to save a RAW file, using the procedure spelled out in Bryan Biggers's site:

http://webpages.charter.net/bbiggers/DCExperiments/html/dimage_flash_card_speeds.html

With the Ridata 512MB card ("20x"), it took about 16 seconds. According to Bryan's list, the same kind of card in a 7i performs the save operation in only about 10 seconds.

I also tested a Delkin 256MB, which also took 16s compared to 11s with the 7i on the list.

My guess for why the 7hi is slower is that it allows you to start taking additional pictures immediately after you snap the RAW shot. So the processor is partially occupied with running the LCD and being ready to record. Therefore, it gives fewer cycles to the transfer process. If anyone has any other possible explanations, I'd be interested!

This is not a complaint about the 7hi. In terms of functionality, the slow saving by the 7hi is really preferable to the faster save by the 7i, because you can be taking pictures while the save is in progress.

-- hide signature --

Bill

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow