"Wedding Photography looks easy enough"....

Started Feb 2, 2010 | Discussions thread
jeff9329 Senior Member • Posts: 1,229
Re: First Post here +1/agree

Wedding photography has fundamentally changed with the digital age and is still in a process of rapid evolution. Film photography was exactly the same for the last 50 years at least, stagnant technology wise, and required a mix of science and art to develop and produce good prints that was well beyond the ability or interest of most all consumers. Those days are totally gone. There is only going to be more and more advanced and serious digital photographers in the future. Competition reduces average prices. We will only see a continual gradual erosion of fees for photography services and a consequence of fewer pros in the future.

Carbonite Dreams wrote:

I'd like to agree with you, but I can't really. As others have stated here, there's really nothing to be done about it. As the price of DSLRs continues to drop, it's just bound to be that those with the gear will get their wedding photography feet wet.

In fact, I'm one of those people. Granted, my first wedding I had 2 camera bodies and 4 lenses; but the point is that everyone starts somewhere. A long time ago (back when the dinosaurs were still alive) you had to be a newbie rookie too. I'm sure that you were probably an apprentice or something for many years, and you had to probably sit in a darkroom for a couple weeks afterward making the prints, and maybe you had to walk uphill both ways to the wedding and back in the snow... well you see where I'm going with this. I mean just imagine if you were just beginning your photography career right now in this digital world. It would be so tempting to try wedding photography. And face it, just about any camera today beats what the pros were using even just a few years ago... so it really isn't about equipment. You can't blame the guy for having a D80, by yesterday's standards that's an awesome camera. The D3 is a great camera today, but in 10 years the bride might be wondering how come her sister has 3D prints and she doesn't. Technology changes.

I think that the guy deserves a chance to see what it's like. If he's not taking it seriously, then I agree with previous posters who say that the B&G deserve what they get.

I myself take it seriously. That's part of the problem. I recognize that I'm responsible for the great reveal 2 weeks after the wedding when they come back from their honeymoon and expect to see a CD that delights them and suprises them, to have prints from a quality lab or archival printer that pop out at them and make them smile, and for them to be so happy they want to add in a tip because what I asked for just doesn't seem like enough. But that's the problem, I want them to be stunned by my work and I feel the pressure so much that it has come to the point where I am suffering from a panic attack the entire time that I'm shooting the wedding. I'm so personally involved and feel that there's so much at stake, that my body feels weak and my chest is pounding, I have nausea and I feel clenched inside the whole time. It's no longer fun because I take it too seriously.

I know I'd be the better photographer, but it sure wouldn't matter about his D80. I picked a guy that had a D100 for our wedding. I did it on purpose too. And I'd do it again. Equipment means nothing. Our wedding was outside and I needed someone who understood how to handle direct sunlight and not blowout the highlights. My photographer knew how to expose properly; almost no one else in our price range could do that. So we chose him.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow