"Wedding Photography looks easy enough"....

Started Feb 2, 2010 | Discussions thread
OP tonymp Veteran Member • Posts: 3,781
Re: First Post here

Carbonite Dreams wrote:

I'd like to agree with you, but I can't really. As others have stated here, there's really nothing to be done about it. As the price of DSLRs continues to drop, it's just bound to be that those with the gear will get their wedding photography feet wet.

In fact, I'm one of those people. Granted, my first wedding I had 2 camera bodies and 4 lenses; but the point is that everyone starts somewhere. A long time ago (back when the dinosaurs were still alive) you had to be a newbie rookie too. I'm sure that you were probably an apprentice or something for many years, and you had to probably sit in a darkroom for a couple weeks afterward making the prints, and maybe you had to walk uphill both ways to the wedding and back in the snow... well you see where I'm going with this. I mean just imagine if you were just beginning your photography career right now in this digital world. It would be so tempting to try wedding photography. And face it, just about any camera today beats what the pros were using even just a few years ago... so it really isn't about equipment. You can't blame the guy for having a D80, by yesterday's standards that's an awesome camera. The D3 is a great camera today, but in 10 years the bride might be wondering how come her sister has 3D prints and she doesn't. Technology changes.

I think that the guy deserves a chance to see what it's like. If he's not taking it seriously, then I agree with previous posters who say that the B&G deserve what they get.

I myself take it seriously. That's part of the problem. I recognize that I'm responsible for the great reveal 2 weeks after the wedding when they come back from their honeymoon and expect to see a CD that delights them and suprises them, to have prints from a quality lab or archival printer that pop out at them and make them smile, and for them to be so happy they want to add in a tip because what I asked for just doesn't seem like enough. But that's the problem, I want them to be stunned by my work and I feel the pressure so much that it has come to the point where I am suffering from a panic attack the entire time that I'm shooting the wedding. I'm so personally involved and feel that there's so much at stake, that my body feels weak and my chest is pounding, I have nausea and I feel clenched inside the whole time. It's no longer fun because I take it too seriously.

I know I'd be the better photographer, but it sure wouldn't matter about his D80. I picked a guy that had a D100 for our wedding. I did it on purpose too. And I'd do it again. Equipment means nothing. Our wedding was outside and I needed someone who understood how to handle direct sunlight and not blowout the highlights. My photographer knew how to expose properly; almost no one else in our price range could do that. So we chose him.

Don't get me wrong... cameras and fancy top end equipment is not all that's required to shoot a wedding...one can have the best gear out there but knowing how and when to use it is equally important and I know guys who turn out excellent work with very modest DSLR equpment ( neither Canon or Nikon) and they do fine.

A D80 + a couple of modest lenses while certainly not ideal, in the right hands is still probably adequate for many situations at a push, especially if conditions are favourable so I'm not knocking the camera the guy was going to use but, if they aren't ideal conditions or the single camera he has breaks down, then there are serious problems.

I took along 5 bodies and 10 lenses...obvious overkill and uneccessay one would say..however, 2 bodies were MF plus 4 llenses as, I left it open as to whether I shot with film or with digital and in the end chose digital. The rest were duplicate bodies and lenses...as the temperature was - 2 to -3 or so outside, I left one body and lens in the church ready set up so as not to get any misting when I came from outside into the the church after shooting the pre ceremony shots, so that was my reasoning for taking extra kit rather that just worry over breakdowns. Misting is not a problem during the summer months in Britain but, it's something else to think about and plan for in winter.

We all have or had to start somewhere as no one starts out at the top, or very rarely and I'm quite sure some very successful wedding photographers who visit this forum will admit to being somewhat under-equipped when they first set out and I also recognise that it's not just about equipment alone but, there has to be a minimum level at which to begin with, in order to produce results under possible extreme conditions.

We all try to save money in many ways if we can get away with it and I suppose some couples who are very short of money will do the same by selecting a cheaper photographer for their wedding... but even if he was cheap, he should still have sufficient equipment to make sure the job is done to at least his or her level of ability!

There's a guy who lives in the next town to mine about 12 miles away and he shoots weddings on a part time basis..he only uses a D70 plus D50 as backup (plus good glass) and he charges a very nominal fee ( and I mean CHEAP) but he does it simply because he loves it and not for the money! I suspect any B&G on a tight budget who choose him will be delighted with the results as I've seen his work!

His work is excellent and I've even passed work on to him myself as he takes it seriously and doesn't see it as a way to make "easy money" so, simply because someone works cheaply, it doesn't automatically mean their work should be or is rubbish but guys like the one who contacted me are completely different and it's those who cause the problems.
--
The only thing that gets sharper with use is a woman's tongue!
http://www.le-femme.co.uk

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow