Brand new 5DMKII - Is this fringing normal?

Started Feb 1, 2010 | Discussions thread
Kabe Luna
Kabe Luna Veteran Member • Posts: 9,493
Not the camera...

...but the lens at fault here. The 24-105/4L has bagfuls of chromatic aberration between 24 and about 32mm – it's that lens' most obvious weakness. However, this seems more than my copy of that lens suffered from, so you may want to consider sending the lens to Canon for diagnosis and/or repair. But you'll always have probably more CA with this lens than you'd obviously like. The solution, either shoot RAW and correct the CA during conversion or get a lens with more desirable CA characteristics.

Boomz wrote:

I have the old 5D MK1 and loved it. But I've been printing large lately.

This is the camera's first set of outdoor photos. A college campus building. At 100% I was surprised to see this much red and green fringing. It this normal? If not I'd better do something about it. The camera firmware is 1.2.4. And everything is pretty much factory settings.

Original file.

Crop left.

Crop right.

Data: 1/100, f10, 24mm, ISO 100, Flash not fired, Pattern, Aperture priority, 0EV, WB auto, sRGB.

Lens: 24-105 f4.0

I know you can fix it in software but when you are shooting a few hundred photos, this just shouldn't be part of the process at all.

I've used the exact same lens with my older 5DMK1 in similar projects under the same conditions, and there's hardly any noticeable fringing. I've never had to fix it.

Is this something I need to get Canon to fix?

I'll keep testing with my other lenses.

Thanks in advance for any comments, advise, thoughts, etc.

Mike

-- hide signature --
 Kabe Luna's gear list:Kabe Luna's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jr
jr
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow