Brand new 5DMKII - Is this fringing normal?

Started Feb 1, 2010 | Discussions thread
jsmiller Contributing Member • Posts: 825
Re: Brand new 5DMKII - Is this fringing normal?

As many have pointed out, your 5D II is pushing your lens harder than your previous camera, so CA will show up more obviously. Is it equal on both sides of the picture? There could be some decenter.

FWIW, I tried to purchase this lens for my 450D and ultimately had four (!) different copies before I gave up. Three had various focusing problems and one had bad decenter with severe CA on one side. They were all different, but didn't give me confidence tha if I bought another one I would get a good one. Adorama camera was great and would have been happy to send me another copy, or they said I could send my latest to Canon for calibration, but I gave up. Canon did calibrate three of my other lenses for focus and did a superb job.

The moral of my story at least is that I wouldn't be the least surprised if your lens needed some adjustments. As you have discovered, it isn't the camera. I think I had an incredible string of bad luck, but I saw a number of posts here from others about the same time from people who had problems with this lens. Incidentally, when the lens was in focus and without decenter, it had superb performance, all that I could want. Of course that was on a crop camera.

Joe

jsmiller's gear list:jsmiller's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 360 HS
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jr
jr
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow