The iPad is a game changer

Started Jan 30, 2010 | Discussions thread
Michael_J Veteran Member • Posts: 4,811
iPad just saved the subscription magazine industry.

One look at this video and you will see what I mean:
http://elifrombrooklyn.blogspot.com/2010/01/ipad-si-20100.html

This is the way people under thirty relate to news. Even an old fart like me would subscribe to magazines again if they are like the SI version in the link able.

I will take a "cool" product like this iPad to revitalize "magazines" subscriptions again. Gossip and people types news magazines like SI, People, etc., will thrive on a device like this.

As is, it's a near miss. I will wait for iPad II, or some other similar product - with more functionalities, like phone, web cam, full computer capabilities, and see more third party software.

Jerry Pruce wrote:

I believe the iPad is as important new computer (maybe more so) than the ipod or iphone were when introduced a few years ago. Yeah, yeah, yeah, there are the naysayers....no flash, no camera, not enough harddrive, etc,etc, Those are peripheral things. The main things it does are beautiful, intuitive, and elegant.

Here are the things that I think make it real special:

1. The Gutenburg paradigm is winding down. More and more people all around the world are getting and working with content on some kind of computer. Less and less people are buying paper newspapers, magazines, and books. I don't buy newspapers or magazines anymore. When i need a manual for something, I can most always find it online. I'm not attached to having paper books, except maybe for big beautiful art books. And even those will be available online. There will always be some form of paper media around. But less trees will get cut down. I won't have to build more bookcases or lug heavy boxes of books around if I should have to move.

Think about it. Probably sooner than later most all text books will be downloadable. Instead of carrying around a bunch of heavy school books plus a heavy laptop in a backpack, there'll be a simple, relatively light, thin computer holding school books with interactive content that would not be available in a paper book. Plus beautiful quality video, music, email, games, navigation, on and on.

I know, there's the Kindle. But were talking apples and oranges here. The Kindle does a few things (in black and white). The ipad does many things in awesome color. Newspapers and magazine publishers will start seeing black rather red on their balance sheets.

2. This will be a great device for photographers. Being able to see a nice size picture of beautiful quailty wirerlessly sent (Eye-Fi card) from the camera to the iPad for immediate review, when you don't want to lug around a bunch of stuff. The iPad makes all the consumer and pro camera with video capability relevant. Now pro photojournalists wiil have a reason to shoot high quality video segments with their D3's and MK 5's.

Soon there will be a way to download to an external harddrive, Soon Adobe and other photo editing software companies will have apps for the iPad. This will make it way more capable. Soon there will be a video camera for Skyping with friends or video conferencing. When that happpens the optional stand/charger/keyboard will sell like hotcakes.

3. The touch sensitive and gyro functions will be fully realized on the iPad. This alone is as important as the invention of the mouse. And here's the kicker...the iPad will be a seamless transition for all the million and millions of those who already own iPhones and Touches. The iBooks Store is beautiful extension of iTunes and app stores.

Like I said, the main things it does are phenomenal. And it will keep getting better and better.

If your looking to invest. Apple stock would be a good choice. The investors are going to be very very happy. Apple is going to sell a sh-t load of iPads.

jerry

-- hide signature --

People who claim to be open minded never see it my way.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
igb
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
igb
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
jk
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow