In-camera processing of long-exposure RAW data

Started Jan 21, 2010 | Discussions thread
bob elkind Veteran Member • Posts: 5,815
There's hope...

Thom Hogan wrote:

To my knowledge, it is applied by the ASIC after the initial data is put into the buffer as a "file" but before the file itself is stored on the card. That's why it used to be that you could invoke Long exp NR and interrupt that to get the original data intact: the file was there, but it hadn't been retouched by the ASIC yet.

Even if we can convince Nikon to change the algorithm, I don't think this is going to be a firmware update type issue.

Even if the 'feature' is implemented in hardware, there is still a software enable for the hardware function. The ASIC likely does not have a shutter speed register with a hard-wired enable for a fixed shutter speed threshold. Completely hard-wired implementations require more unique ASIC spins ($$) than otherwise necessary. I think a firmware update can turn this 'feature' on or off, or make it user-selected.

That's the easy part.

Nikon has shot themselves in the foot with this, and the controversy won't go away any time soon. It's not like no-one ever reads the dpreview.com forums for shopping guidance. I think every astronomy, macro, landscape, architecture, and product photographer reading this should be letting their Nikon rep know that they are not pleased.

I think I should hang out at astronomy forums more often, you never know what you might learn there...

-- hide signature --

Bob Elkind
Family,in/outdoor sports, landscape, wildlife
photo galleries at http://eteam.zenfolio.com
my relationship with my camera is strictly photonic

bob elkind's gear list:bob elkind's gear list
Nikon D700 Canon EOS 500D Nikon D600 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
eNo
eNo
eNo
eNo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow