In-camera processing of long-exposure RAW data

Started Jan 21, 2010 | Discussions thread
Thom Hogan Forum Pro • Posts: 13,659
Re: In-camera processing of long-exposure RAW data

jim stirling wrote:

The reality of the situation seems that it is only of relevance to those taking some form of photography where truly accurate image data was critical

First: what form of photography is it where accurate image data wasn't critical? ;~)

But, no, I think you're making a mistake in dismissing this. It's something we Nikon users have been dealing with for most of DSLR-dom. I'm a landscape photographer that shoots at the edges of the day quite often. I'm very often at shutter speeds slower than 1/4 a second. The implications of the algorithm are that some high frequency data is being destroyed in my images, and yes, I've seen examples of it.

I've long written about trying to capture "optimal data" in the field. One thing I used to be able to do is set Long exp. NR to On, take a long exposure, then flip the camera off before NR had completed. This allowed me to bypass the "filter." Apparently, this is now "fixed" by Nikon's latest firmware and not possible.

-- hide signature --

Thom Hogan
author, Complete Guides to Nikon bodies (21 and counting)
http://www.bythom.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
eNo
eNo
eNo
eNo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow