those 128 GB cards

Started Jan 19, 2010 | Discussions thread
Scales USA Veteran Member • Posts: 3,121
Re: Flash Based Storage Has Expire Date

G10Rebel wrote:

T3 wrote:

I have very old CF cards that I bought back when I got my first DSLR, the Canon 10D. They still work fine after all these years. I think the "expire date" is way overblown. Most commercially available flash products are guaranteed to withstand around 100,000 write-erase cycles before the integrity of the storage starts to deteriorate or wear out. That's plenty. By then, you should have easily gotten your money's worth out of it, if you ever hit that "wear out" point at all.

I was giving a heads-up for people thinking that a CF card can be used to immortalize their memories. I myself prefer a spinning harddisk that has more GB/price than flash disk due to that flash-decay problem. But hard-disk need to be periodically put into motion to avoid its reader-needle sticking into the platter.

Some prefer optical discs, but those discs are prone to become obsolete once:

a. they are scratched
b. their materials are decayed during storage

c. no readers are available for them, same thing can happen to flash-based storage. As for hard-disk, cables and softwares can be designed to read an ancient hard-disk, provided the hard-disk never goes idle for long time. With the robustness of USB interface and the ubiquity of USB based HD encasement, hard-disk can go on forever if one is careful and engineers keep on supporting HD.
--
http://hdr.strivearth.com | canon fodder

I think I still have the 32 mb hard drive from my first PC. It was a RLL drive. Do you really think it will work with modern PC's? No, its a long dead technology that required a special controller. Hard drives also change over time and data must be transferred.

Scales USA's gear list:Scales USA's gear list
Fujifilm MX-700 Canon G1 X II Canon EOS R
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
MWP
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow