those 128 GB cards

Started Jan 19, 2010 | Discussions thread
T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,546
Re: Flash Based Storage Has Expire Date

G10Rebel wrote:

T3 wrote:

I have very old CF cards that I bought back when I got my first DSLR, the Canon 10D. They still work fine after all these years. I think the "expire date" is way overblown. Most commercially available flash products are guaranteed to withstand around 100,000 write-erase cycles before the integrity of the storage starts to deteriorate or wear out. That's plenty. By then, you should have easily gotten your money's worth out of it, if you ever hit that "wear out" point at all.

I was giving a heads-up for people thinking that a CF card can be used to immortalize their memories. I myself prefer a spinning harddisk that has more GB/price than flash disk due to that flash-decay problem. But hard-disk need to be periodically put into motion to avoid its reader-needle sticking into the platter.

I think the whole notion of one storage device on which to "immortalize" your memories is itself outdated. The beauty of digital data is that it is infinitely transferable. And storage devices are constantly evolving. I have images stored on old 100GB hdds (100GB used to be a lot of storage) that I have since consolidated onto 1 terabyte hdds. And in a few years, there will be newer storage devices yet to be known, so I'll probably transfer the data on my 1 terabyte drives onto crystal cube drives that will probably store multi-terabytes of data in something no larger than a small box of wooden matches! My point is, move the data onto newer devices every few years. Don't just keep it on some old device that you're hoping will last through the ages. Move your data!

T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a6000 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
MWP
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow