question to other Zeiss 24-70 owners

Started Jan 4, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
barri Contributing Member • Posts: 865
question to other Zeiss 24-70 owners

I have this lens now for about 6 months on my A900 and in general I love it.

However, you know how the lens has this barrel that contains the front element (and probably most of the other glass elements) of the lens and that protrudes, as you zoom to 70mm?

I eventually came to notice that over time this barrel has gotten some play. While initially, wiggling on the front element would show this barrel firmly in place with no play, now it can be moved a little left/right/up/down with regard to the lens axis. Now I hope that this does not get worse...

I own a Tamron 17-50 that never showed such problems over years of intensive use...

Have other users of the Zeiss 24-70 seen this problem, or should this barrel remain firmly in place without any play ?

Personally, I can imagine that since this section of the lens is very heavy, gravity and accelerative forces during normal use might simply yank quite a bit on it, and so it would be expected for this section to gain some play...

Also one other question in this regard: When I carry my A900 with 24-70 attached over my shoulder, the zoom will eventually creep out to 70mm with the front element becoming fully extended. Is this normal? If yes, shouldn't Zeiss have included a zoom lock for this lens? The Sony 28-75 has one, right?

-- hide signature --

Sony Alpha 900 user...

Zeiss 2.8/24-70 SSM, Minolta 2.8/100 macro, Sony 1.4/50, Sony 2.8/70-200 SSM, Sony 1.4x TC, Minolta 4.5/400 HS, Sigma 12-24, Metz 54 MZ-4, Vivitar 285HV, Canon S90

see some of my images at
http://christianriedel.com
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_search.php?action=file&userID=953875

barri's gear list:barri's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T*
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow