K-x picture real resolution? black border on the right side of pics?

Started Jan 2, 2010 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
manuf Forum Member • Posts: 78
K-x picture real resolution? black border on the right side of pics?

DISCLAIMER: this is probably a silly newbie question ...

Hi all,

I have been playing a bit with my DNG's from the K-x in Raw Therapy and the demos of Lightroom (way too pricey for me) and Silkypix (pricey, but less, so tempting). At some point I decided to process a batch of pics in Raw Therapy, only to realize later that I had a black border on the right side of my Jpegs. I blamed my careless cropping in Raw Therapy (out of bound? does the software allow that ???) and then realized that, actually, the preview of the original DNG files, without any customization, also displays that right-side black border ... I also noted that Picasa viewer does the same (actually it displays the pic without the border for a second, then add it/resize the pic). Lightroom, Silkypix and the Pentax DCU do not do that. Is that some kind of misinterpretation of the file data?

The Jpegs from different software have different resolutions. Files from Silkypix (without the border) have a resolution of 4288x2848 (12.21MP), which is also the one for the samples in the Dpreview's review. The Jpeg from Raw Therapy are bigger horizontally and vertically, at 4344x2860 (12.42MP). The funny part is that they do not only they have this black border on the right side, but they also have a slightly wider field of view toward the right side and top !?!

Are there data at the border of the pic that are supposed to be discarded by the Raw processor? Or did I, inadvertently , set that up somewhere in the K-x and some software respect the command (eg Silkypix) while others don't (Raw Therapy)?

Any help to solve that mystery would be appreciated,

thank you in advance !

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow