RAW sharpness

Started Dec 30, 2009 | Discussions thread
OP GF Regular Member • Posts: 154
Re: RAW sharpness

ShawnCo wrote:

Your JPEGs will get processed in camera based on the in camera settings (such as picture styles). You can modify the picture styles to increase or decrease sharpness, saturation etc if you choose.

Raw files are not processed in that manner and you should not expect them to be (that is the whole point of raw files - give the control to the photographer not the camera). Raw gives better flexibility for adjusting white balance and creating a look you want for your images whereas JPEG is a fair bit more limited.

Since I did not make any adjustments, I assumed the settings should be the same. (I checked the information in the EXIF are the same.) Please correct me if I am wrong.

When you convert from Raw using DPP you can adjust the sharpness, contrast and saturation to your liking. No, the converted raw files may not look exactly like the jpgs out of the camera but they should be fairly close.

Yes. the converted JPEG is failry close to the JPEG produced by the camera.

I've just done the test by using the Lightroom to open the same RAW (.CR2). The preview in Lightroom is a lot better (sharper) than DPP. It is even better than the JPEG.

GF's gear list:GF's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus PEN E-P1 Canon EOS 7D Sony a7 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow