NEC Roadmap

Started Dec 21, 2009 | Discussions thread
mosswings Veteran Member • Posts: 9,791
Re: NEC Roadmap

ptodd wrote:

Brent Allen Thale wrote:

Interesting, although I don't understand their focus on 16:9 aspect ratio for office work, to me that is too wide since most scrolling is vertical. At least it looks like they will still offer some 16:10.

They even refer several times to the relative 'productivity' of different resolutions... eg:
1920x1200 - 100%
1920x1080 - 90%

I didn't see anything on glossy vs. matte, since this is NEC hopefully that means they are sticking with matte.

I'd have thought that safe to assume.

What NEC is trying to do is rationalize the fact that 4:3 panels are obsolete and 16:10 panels are rapidly being obsoleted. 16:9 panels, because of their use in LCD TVs, are quickly becoming the only aspect ratio that the manufacturers can build cost-effectively. You would be staggered at the Samsung and LG panel plants. Huge sheets of glass, 8 story vertical assembly lines...

Thus, the screen height equivalent of a 4:3 19" screen is a 24" 16:9 panel.

NEC's replacement for a 30" 16:10 is a 27" 16:9 panel, even though to be screen height equivalent it would need to be 33" wide. I don't know why...perhaps 33" is just too plain big for a desktop monitor, or a 33" hi-res screen could not be driven by an HDMI or DVI interface at standard refresh rates. That may also be why DisplayPort is now standard on the PA line.

The NEC powerpoint didn't discuss the EA series panels, but there will be a 27" 1080x 1920 "standard office" panel complementing the 27" 2560 x 1440 PA series monitors.

The bottom line is, if you like the additional 10% in screen height that a 16:10 panel gives you, buy one soon. I would not expect them to be around much longer than a year or so at reasonable prices, even though they're part of NEC's 'new line'. It seems to me, for example, that the PA241W is simply the old 2490 with better drive electronics. The PA23W and PA27W are the future.

Color critical applications require matte screens. NEC is selling to that customer. You're most likely to find glossy screens in their Accusync and maybe their EA series.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon Z50 Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus 1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow