Recommended wide-angle for APS-H

Started Dec 21, 2009 | Discussions thread
PhotoKhan Forum Pro • Posts: 10,357
Ooops...

...You stumbled upon the only significant limitation in an otherwise perfect format (in my view): There's simply no perfect WA for the APS-H format.

Myself, I slowly added up to no less 3 WA in my lenses line-up (through either necessity and/or opportunity) intending to let one go after some evaluation. It seems that there is no way I can make my mind up to let any of them go.

- Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM :

Pros: Zoom versatility, excellent optical quality, fast aperture.
Cons: 16mm (19,5 equiv. in 35mm) not wide enough.

- Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM :

Pros: Superb prime optical quality, fast aperture, critical 2mm more than the 16-35 at the wide end.

Cons: Being an " unflexible " prime usually means that it is a supplementary selection into my photo bag than an actual "stand alone" option.

- Sigma 12 - 24 mm F4.5 - F5.6 EX DG ASPHERICAL HSM :

Pros: Zoom versatility, WA end of the zoom translates into the "normal" 15-16mm equiv. at 35mm which is what I really want for WA.

Cons: So-so optical quality, "slower" max apertures.

So, I really can't let go of any of the 3 as they all have their strengths and shortcomings.

That said, if I was really hard-pressed into selecting one, it would be the 16-35.

(if only the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM was an EF lens...I would gladly take the same aperture limitations as the Sigma, in this case, as the optical quality of the one I owned back in the APS-C days was truly exceptional)

Hope this helps.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow