Lightroom 2.6 (non RC) available

Started Dec 18, 2009 | Discussions thread
Daniel Clune
Daniel Clune Veteran Member • Posts: 3,453
Re: 2 samples one with cap1 other lightroom

Very true Bronx but i have found if you turn up the sharpening much at all in lightroom the noise really starts to show even if you do it just like you said. Were the default sharpening is stonger in Cap One it doesnt bring out the noise like in lightroom. I really wish it wasnt this way as i prefer the controls in lightroom over Cap One. But for now Cap One is my choice for 7D files. I also like the default color better out of cap one. Its not a huge differance but its more to my likeing.

bronxbombers wrote:

the tricky thing with default settings though is cap 1 tends to assume the output is the final process whereas ACR assumes you will still sharpen in CS4

so in the end you can't really compare converters all that sensibly locked into default settings

(i also find if you really want fine detail extraction from ACR you need to move that radius slider from the default of 1 down the smallest it allowes, 0.5 and remove some masking which it defaults fairly high with certain bodies, although you may want to also tone down the typical 25 sharpness to 16-20 or so depending and you may also want to turn on a little clarity setting too; and then follow that with a pass or a few passes of smartsharpen of various radius and strength or whatever you use to sharpen)

-- hide signature --
 Daniel Clune's gear list:Daniel Clune's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Epson Stylus Photo R1900
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow