Highly Recommended (Just)??!!

Started Dec 16, 2009 | Discussions thread
Hynee Regular Member • Posts: 133
Highly Recommended is the highest rating...

jaydubbs15 in OP wrote:

I don't understand how the G11 that received 9.0 or 8.5 in virtually every category except value (7.5) can be considered "just" Highly Recommended (and truth be told it's priced in line with its competitors.)

Seriously, that's all it goes up to, see here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/default.asp?view=rating

For me, having only VGA video in a $500+ top of the line compact is inexcusable. Especially considering it's from Canon and it as a lower pixel count. That's a good enough reason to demote it from "Superb" or whatever superlative is higher than Highly Recommended.

jaydubbs15 wrote:

I just did a little math and here's an illustration of what my point is:

[snip]

My point is that the labels whatever they are should be consistent across the board. Perhaps "Highly Recommended," "Highly Recommended (just)," "Recommended," etc. should be given numerical ranges. And the numerical ratings in the subcategories should reflect relative strength when compared to peer cameras as well.

No they shouldn't, the rating doesn't have to be (and isn't) an average of the category scores, it's an overall feeling of the unit.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow