Highly Recommended (Just)??!!

Started Dec 16, 2009 | Discussions thread
mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 52,871
Re: Maybe this class of camera is becoming irrelevant?

Roland Karlsson wrote:

mamallama wrote:

A camera the size of a brick

Hmmmm ... are you building doll houses where you live? The G11 is a mighty small brick. I have a G10 - and I think it is a quite comfortable size and weight. Now - you can get half that weight and size - but I dont think that is only an advantage.

I wasn't targeting the G11 specifically, so don't get too defensive. I never said only an advantage; I said one criteria for rating.

and a small sensor should be rewarded less iin test evaluations than a small camera with the same sensor size and similar lens.

Its a 1/1.7" sensor. Thats a much bigger sensor than in most cameras today. Doing a feature search you only find a few compact cameras at that class on DPReview.

Canon S90
Canon G11
Fuijifilm F60fd
Fuijifilm F100fd
Fuijifilm F200EXR
Leica D-LUX 4

Both he F200EXR and F100fd have a slightly larger sensor and about half the weight and a about third the volume. The zoom range is the same with a lens only about a third stop slower. That's what I mean as a big physical difference.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_g11%2Cfuji_finepixf100fd%2Cfujifilm_f200exr&show=all

-- hide signature --

mamallama

mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow