What new lens to give GH1 owner as a gift?

Started Dec 14, 2009 | Discussions thread
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 25,800
Re: What new lens to give GH1 owner as a gift?

Carnivore99 wrote:

Michael Meissner wrote:

Note, there is no lens that will match all of these criteria. So you have to pick what you are going to give:

Yes, as I said I'm looking to fit one of them.

Panasonic 45-200mm, at about $350 would give you a little more room at the telephoto region. I believe Panasonic will be coming out with a 100-300mm some time next year.

The 70-200mm doesn't sound like it provides enough extra reach beyond the kit lens to be a very good addition.

Well its some extra, but if you want reach, it probably isn't that helpful (I would imagine it is meant more as a companion for the 14-45mm instead of extending the 14-140mm).

What about the Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm F4.0-5.6? Looks like that one has pretty good reach but the slow speed an lack of AFC on the GH1 body probably rule it out for wildlife shooting. Just thinking out loud here. What's the IQ of that lens like, anyway?

In theory, it should auto focus on a G-H1 once you have the firmware installed on the lens, but people say that it focuses slow. I don't have a Panasonic camera, so I can't say for certain. I did a limited test in my room on my Olympus E-P2, and it did focus inside, but the E-P2 is a different beast that the G-H1.

I found the Panny 20mm 1.7 on Ebay. Not sure whether I'd get the warranty coverage that way, though.

With Olympus you would not get the warranty, unless it was sold in Europe, where the cameras come with a second warranty that allows fo resale.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus TG-860 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow