New dad seeking advice on lenses.

Started Dec 9, 2009 | Discussions thread
tredomar Regular Member • Posts: 203
Re: 2 lenses

There is certainly something to be said for having a lens that covers a wide range when you are dealing with toddlers and young children. That is one thing my kit is missing, and I have missed opportunities as a result. Toddlers don't wait for lenses to be changed. I agree with the folks who suggested getting something fast on the wide end and the 85 1.8. Perhaps a prime in the 28-35mm range or the Tamron 17-50 (or Canon 17-55) plus the 85 1.8. Last year, I had $350 or so to spend on a lens. My choice came down to the 85 1.8 or the Tamron 28-75. I LOVE my 85 1.8, but still hope to get the Tamron someday. 28-75 would be just about perfect for me, IF it focuses fast enough to keep up with my kids. (I have never tried it, so I don't know.) Sometimes, I wish I had gone with the Tamron 28-75 + Canon 100 f/2. (I rarely use the 18-28 range, but I know a lot of folks do. You'll have that covered, if you get the T1i kit.)

I also agree with the pp who suggested you consider the 50D. I bought the xsi when it came out, and really wish I would have gone with the 40D instead. It would be nice to have the video of the T1i, though.

If I were starting over right now, I would get get a 50D kit with the 28-135 + Tamron 28-75 + either the Canon 85 1.8 or 100 f/2 + 430ex ii to start. (or substitute the T1i kit for the 50D kit.) The 55-250 is nice to have, if you want head shots and don't want to use the flash too close to your baby's face. I rarely use the 18-28 range right now, but I would pick up a (possibly used) 18-55 is.

I don't know exactly what your budget is, so this is just what I would do if I had a little more to spend on this hobby (or if my husband were into photography). If I had even more money to spend, I would get the Canon 17-55is instead of the Tamron lens.

Just a couple misc. notes:

It is hard to chase a toddler around indoors (or out) with the 85 1.8, but pretty much all of my favorite pictures are from this lens. If I can get the kids to stand still for a second, the results can be stunning.

I have struggled with the slower focus of the 50 1.8 on my xsi when photographing my young kids. I love the image quality, though. I often feel that 50 is either a little too long or a little too short on my xsi. Kids don't wait for you to find the ideal framing.

I love my prime lenses, but it is so much easier to chase kids around with a zoom lens.

I prefer natural light photography, but I highly recommend getting an external flash. I have the 430ex ii + an omnibounce diffuser. I have found lighting to be tricky to learn, so be sure to shoot RAW.

Best of luck!

Rebecca

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GKN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow