New dad seeking advice on lenses.

Started Dec 9, 2009 | Discussions thread
Y Hafting
Y Hafting Contributing Member • Posts: 787
I got the 50mm and the 17-85

Hi there

Im also a dad, having two kids currently at 1,5 and 2,5 yr. I got a 30D with 50mm 1.4 and 17-85IS . At some point when the $ was cheap (compared to NOK) i bought 70-200 f2.8 IS.

Here is my experience:

first the 70-200 is very nice, outdoors when you can get distance to your subject. Unfortunately this isnt happening to often. Im conscidering selling this lens to buy another (further down), but i love it for what it can do and i do believe that it will get more use when the kids grows- will i ever be able to buy this again if i sell it..?

the 17-85IS is nice outdoors, when going on holidays. Indoors it isnt very useful, because it starts at f4. Actually i find f4-5.6 quite limiting even outdoor even during summer. (of course parts of this is related to the fact that i live in norway, and weather hasn't been that great lately when ive had my chances to shoot pictures).

the 50mm is the lens i use most. It gives the most pleasing results (colour, sharpness, bokeh). Taking pictures of kids, i tend to use time value of either 1/100 or faster, mostly giving apertures indoor of f1.4- f2.8 (iso 1600 mostly, though i'd use higher ISO's too if i had a newer camera). When i take pictures indoor, it is mainly lit by tungsten lamps. If i had larger windows i could get away with using f> 2.8 but id might opt for lowering the ISO at that point.

The problem with the 50mm is the field of view. Id like to have a wider prime, as i can't really see that (any) the 17-5X f2.8 will suit my "need for speed". Im currently pondering on ditching the 70-200 to get a 24mm 1.4 or buying a 28mm 1.8. Selling the 17-85 has to get either the 24 or 28mm has also crossed my mind several times.

If i was about to buy my gear for the first time now, knowing how dim light i have where i live, id buy only the 28 1.8 and the 50 1.4, rather than the 17-85 lens. The 70-200 is much fun using and it gives pleasing results, but it is harder to justify money wise, as i don't use it that frequently. But the problem by selling them is that they are all great, but they have different purposes. I also have had all my gear calibrated together, which made a huge difference to me (no microadjustment on the 30D).

And btw i have a quite short (old) lowepro that just barely fit the camera with the 17-85 or the 50mm. If i bring the 70-200, i use a laptop-backpack to carry my gear.

Ive pondered a lot on buying "cheap" sigmas with high IQ, over the pricey canon lenses, but what it boils down to is that AF performance is generally better on the canons from all the reviews i can find.

Good luck choosing!

Mognar wrote:

Hi and I wanted to say thanks in advance for your time and advice!

I'm a fairly new dad with an 11 month old and decided it's time to take the plunge and upgrade from the point and shoot I've been using. I've decided on the Canon EOS Rebel T1i and have been going nuts reviewing lenses and I'm still undecided as to what would be the best fit for my use. I'm looking to buy lenses that will grow with my daughter Right now, most of the use will be primarily indoor shots and eventually as she grows, there will be more outdoor, sports, etc.

The lenses I'm considering are the 17-85mm f/4-5.6 for my primary carry around and the 50mm f/1.4 USM as my prime, which I believe will handle the indoor/lowlight pics. I'm also considering the 70-300mm f/4-5.6.
I'm going to buy the body rather than the kit, since I won't need the kit lense.

Being new to DSLR and lenses in general, I'm looking for opinions to help my decision along I think the 17-85 and 50mm will handle just about all the situations I'll run into as a parent, but being green, will take all the advice I can get!

So... do you think those 2 lenses are a good choice for "parenting" photography? Are there any other choices I should consider? Will I have a need for the 70-300 or will the 85mm handle most scenarios?

Thanks again and I appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks again,

Mog

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GKN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow