New dad seeking advice on lenses.

Started Dec 9, 2009 | Discussions thread
Kenneth Darling Soerensen Regular Member • Posts: 152
Agree with Esben..

As a father of 3, I've seen my photography becoming centered exclusively around the kids.

To sum up on the details below, if I had to start again knowing what I know now, I would get a 17-50 f/2.8 or 24-105 f/4 L and a 35 mm f/2 (or similar to suit your wallet

For the past 5 years, I've come to use and appreciate the following lenses (first on a D30, then 20D and now 40D):

Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (the older non-stabilized model): Used for general indoor photos. I live in Denmark, where the light is very limited from October to March, so this comes in handy. Also used outdoors but less and less because of the limited reach. (As another poster replied: The younger they are, the closer you are)

Canon 35 f/2: Love this lens, sharp and very close focusing. I use this primarily inside when the kids are playing, for parties etc.

Canon 85 mm f/1.8: Used this a fair amount inside before the kids started to walk, now I just use it outside for portraits which are set (I use a zoom for impromptu portraits since I never know where they are going, see below)

Canon 50 mm f/1.8 I: Same use as 85 mm, but it got more use inside than outside since I needed less distance from subject when using this

Canon 24-105 f/4 L: Got this a year ago and its great for outside use with the kids because of the great reach without having to change lenses - if I had to change lenses, I would loose the shot. The lack of wide angle in this lens is not an issue outside, since I just move bit further away

Sigma 15 mm fisheye: Great for shooting the kids in their environment

Canon 70-210 f/3.5-4.5: Have not used this much, I use the 24-105 instead

-- hide signature --

Regards
Kenneth Darling Soerensen

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GKN
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow