ZS3 vs F70EXR -- round 4 -- high ISO ladders

Started Dec 7, 2009 | Discussions thread
Trensamiro
Trensamiro Senior Member • Posts: 1,565
Re: ZS3 vs F70EXR -- round 4 -- high ISO ladders

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Trensamiro wrote:

In fact, I'm quite amazed the ZS3 did so well under those extreme conditions, was expecting far worse results for this test-type shot.

Yes, the Panny did fine ... but SHood is right that the Fuji would do better ... it has hardware assisted 3 stop DR extension after all ...

May be, may be not.

I don't own nor have ever used a Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR 's , but I've read many reviews about it and most were less that enthusiastic about the novel EXR mode D-Range Priority you seem to be referring to.

Apart from it not being as effective as claimed (and as expected by the reviewers), there are two considerable caveats:

1) Forget about using it when there's movement present, be it your subject moving or yourself not holding the camera steadily enough, because two pictures are taken in quick succession to be combined later and, if there's movement, they might actually not quite match and you'll get all kinds of noticeable ghosting and artifacts .

2) Even if successful (landscapes on a tripod,say), both images will be combined to get supposedly extended range but at the cost of reducing resolution in half, to a mere 5 Megapixels , which, frankly, is quite low in this time and age and will lose lots of fine detail and preclude large print size.

In short, after reading a lot about it, seeing many online samples, and weighting it all, I concluded that while the idea is worthwhile and a brave attempt by Fuji, it isn't yet at the stage where it's as useful as touted and matter of fact it's largely a marketing ploy with little actual substance to back it up.

-
See my Lumix ZS3 (TZ7) pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirepapa/

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow