Format Wars ?

Started Nov 29, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jim stirling
jim stirling Veteran Member • Posts: 7,356
Format Wars ?

Firstly I am new to Olympus digital [E620 12-60 and 50 macro}.I am a professional wedding and event photographer {25yrs} with a sideline in LF landscape photography. I use mainly Nikon for work {D3x, D3, and D700} I also have some Canon gear {1DsmkII and 5DmkII}. I also have a D300 which I used for travel hiking family outings etc as it was lighter than the rest of my kit until getting the Olympus which is ideal for a lighter weight solution the only bugbear for me is the viewfinder which I find small.

Now if you survived my preamble, as a user of Canon, Nikon, and Olympus 4/3rd, DX and FF .Each system has bonuses and handicaps and some excel in certain niches and some in others. For typical photography any system will deliver great results just pick the one you like the feel of and best fit your budget etc. If your photographic interest lies in a certain niche then buy the tool best suited for the job ,for architectural work perhaps high mp FF cameras with tilt shift lenses, for high iso low light work FF cameras like the D3s truly excel , for macro work in the field the 4/3rd cameras deliver excellent results with, the advantage of more depth of field , smaller & lighter with very good lenses and most useful most have articulated screens , I had surgery on an old rugby injury on my Knee and believe me this is an advantage.

Of course just because one type of camera excels at a given task does not mean that another cannot do a decent job if only 5% of your photos are at high iso why invest in a system that may be heavier and more expensive. All cameras are compromised in some way and for the extra 10% in performance we pay in weight, size, money etc .The 2 D3,s I use for work with the 14-24, .24-70 and 70-200 lenses deliver excellent results but I am carrying about 16lbs of gear round my neck with a bag containing some fast primes etc over my shoulder, I use them as they are the best tool for the job if there was a lighter solution that delivered the exact same speed of use , AF and image quality I would use it. Cameras are just tools to do a task, and whilst I love cameras and gadgets as much as the next guy I do not understand why people become so vehement in their defence of their chosen system or in attack of another. Do I wish my e620 had a far better viewfinder or a bit better high iso, yes, on the other hand when I am hill walking and my neck aches from carrying so much weight do I wish my D3x and 14-24 did not weigh so much, yes. If one looks through all the forums it is very clear that in capable hands any camera can deliver stunning results and spending a fortune is no guarantee of success.

On looking through some photos I have taken from many different digital cameras, digital photography delivers amazing results many could only hope for in film days when most people were at the mercy of the high street photo labs, now with home pc and image editing software and great home printers you can be in total control of everything from capture to print {though I still tinker in the darkroom for B&W prints}. Here are a couple of photos taken with cameras ranging from Samsung and Canon p&s, through Olympus e620, Canon 1DsmkII Nikon D3, D3x. Enjoy the camera you have and keep away from that damn 100% view in Photoshop as it shows a multitude of “sins” that will not be seen on even fairly large prints. Here are a couple of snaps why not look back through whatever cameras you may have had and see what you like.
Jim

jim stirling's gear list:jim stirling's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D810 +12 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow