Range of Equivalence

Started Nov 28, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
John Mason
John Mason Veteran Member • Posts: 6,091
Range of Equivalence

Here is another way of looking at Equivalance:

What would you change to get the exact same results for a specific shooting situation with different camera systems?

Where would you run out of range of Equivalance for one or the other system.

Given this shooting range of equivalance there will be many shot outcomes multiple system platforms are fine for.

I'm now shooting with the E--P1, E30 and 5d Mk II all with a range of lenses. I can answer the above questions in regard to these systems easily.

It's a balancing act of depth of field, avaliable light, color accuracy, sharpness needs. Depending on the nature of the intended output I know what to grab or how to use what I grabbed to get an equivalant result. Depending on the shot even if ultimate sharpness is the goal, having and knowing how to use software like photoacute can increase the range of equivalance between systems.

If a particuallar shooting goal is within the different systems range of equivalance then it doesn't matter which of the 3 cameras I grab. Other factors come into play like size, PP plan, etc.

I used to have a G9. The range of equivalance even overlaps to a very small sensor camera like the G9.

But at the edges of a range of equivalance one system may be clearly better than another.

I did a family portrait shoot a few weeks ago and used all three cameras. The photographic outcome were to be large wall hanging 16x20 prints. My sharpest shots were from the 85 f 1.2 on the Canon which is as I expected. But the 'client' picked most shots from the E-P1 that were being shot handheld with the 14-54 on it just as a casual backup camera. Go figure.

But for the client's goal all three cameras were overlaping on the range of equivalance.

A different client might have been more interested in the technical max sharpness and 3d effect of the Canon. But they were close enough in quality that the pose of the people was the overiding selection factor.

My question to people getting all hung up on these Equivalance posts is:

Can we at least agree that multiple camera systems overlap in their capability and only differ at the edges of their overlapping range of equivalences?

A person that does not agree with this really obvious (to me) statement belongs on everyone's ignore list.

The range of equivalence also is never static as the competing manufactures improve their wares. But some aspects of range of equivalence like more or less ultimate desired dof is going to have some hard limits. When Olympus came out with the SHG's another stop to 2 stops was gained on noise for a given DOF. But the SHG lenses negate the size and weight advantage. But the stinkers are as sharp as primes.

Now Canon has their improved sensor on the 7D which when extrapolated to their next 1dsmk4 will be a 30mp + sensor. But how will this compare to the high dynamic range Fuji sensor we may see in the next Olympus dSLR? (speculation there - no facts)

It's fun and exciting to play with the different wares. I see and use strengths and weaknesses in both systems as I see fit. There is a large overlap in the range of equivalence between my FF stuff and my 4/3 and m4/3s stuff.

Obvioulsy the range of equivalence between a aps sensor and 4/3's is going to be a larger overlap than to a FF.

FF to MF has had a very interesting range of equivlence overlap over the years. Those taking pictures for years like I have know how FF made inroads to MF as film technology improved. The laws of physics will always favor the largest sensor one can aford and carry in terms of noise and sharpness. I've seen this range of equivalence overlap move around and expand often over the years. I don't think I ever recall the range of overlap between systems shrinking though. Over time the difference becomes less between formats subject to the hard DOF limits.

But with photoacute I can turn my Canon into a great DOF macro cam for product photography by stacking for DOF. Or I can use photoacute to increase the clairty of my E30 for product photography with the same software. So even the hard DOF limits don't always apply anymore. Who knows that the future will bring.

(The single point needle lens? All electromagnetic radition is recorded and post processed to whatever you want.)

Oh well. Enough rambling on this silly topic.
--
John Mason - Lafayette, IN

http://www.fototime.com/inv/407B931C53A9D9D

John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Sony a7R IV Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +14 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow