Voting by the criteria of the challenge? (Through your window)

Started Nov 26, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tricky photography Forum Member • Posts: 81
Voting by the criteria of the challenge? (Through your window)

Hey all.

I'm new to the site but I was just wondering really about the two challenges recently, a B&W one just recently finished and a colour one is currently in voting with coincidentally similar themes.

Both challenges demanded the photograph be "Through your window" yet both had/have a list of entries with Church, Museum, Ruin, Castle, Skyscraper and Airport windows to list but a few.

Some of the most highly rated ones were of public spaces in the B&W one? They were beautiful photographs don't get me wrong but they were clearly not through the photograpehrs own windows? It struck me as somewhat unfair to the photographers who tried to make something unique and aesthetically pleasing using only their own window only to find out later they could have used any window shot in their entire portfolio(More or less). Which is a shame?

Personally i've been voting for a few weeks now and i've very much kept the criteria in mind when doing so. A photo might be 5 stars good quality wise but if it's irrelevant to a challenge i didn't think it should get it.

Is this not the correct technique? if a challenge author accepts the entries does that mean we should then rate them all as being equally relevant to the challenge?

Sorry to ramble on but i was finding it a little confusing. Am i voting incorrectly? How do you guys all vote on challenges like this?

tricky photography's gear list:tricky photography's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow