Futureshop print service in Canada

Started Sep 12, 2002 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AirBete Contributing Member • Posts: 550
Futureshop print service in Canada

Hi all,

I received my prints from Futureshop I would like to share with you my experience.

1) Time. On their web site they advertise that if you place an order by 10 am, the prints will be ready for pick-up or shipping the day after at noon. It tooks 2 days for my order to be processed.

2) Cropping. I ordered 4x6, 5x7 and 8x10 prints. I took care prior to sending the files to Futureshop to crop all pictures in the exact ratio required for their printing. I thought I would received what I saw on my monitor. Wrong! It looks like they still crop a few border pixels and moreover the final rectangle is not necessarily parallel nor centered with respect to the original image. I made a test. For a couple of pictures I added a 40 pixel border (digital frame) of a solid color. In the following images, you'll see what happened. Note that the borders you see here are exagerated in width to better show you the results.

3) Colors. On several prints I was really disappointed with the colors. Looking at the same photos on my monitor revealed huge discrepencies between the color I expected and those that were delivered. How can I callibrate the colors to get better results? They say on their web site that they do some processing and image manipulations at the lab. I don't want that! I've already done all the post-processing I wanted.

4) Brightness. I raised the brightness (with curves) of all my pictures before sending them to Futureshop. I did that because I saw a couple of samples that were to dark to my taste. On the monitor my pictures then looked much too bright. But on the prints, they were fine. So I recommend that you pull up the curve a bit if you intend to use their service. And yes, my monitor is calibrated.

5) Details/Quality. I am pleased with that even with my 8x10 prints.

Any suggestions how I can improve my prints? Any other experiences with Futureshop or another print service in Canada?

Thanks.

AirBete.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow