m43 may be solving the wrong problem

Started Nov 12, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
LucaPCP Contributing Member • Posts: 714
m43 may be solving the wrong problem

m43 started as a way to make 4/3 cameras smaller. But I think that in the end, it is an approach that I don't see as working. All I can see for sale is cameras with either:

• A fixed f/2.0 or better lens (and this is great)

• A zoom in the range f/4 to f/5.6, and this is NOT great.

As I wrote in another post, the reason the f/4-f/5.6 zooms are not great is that they do not confer a clear advantage, compared with much smaller, lighter, and cheaper cameras. Compare e.g. with a Panasonic Lumix LX3. The zoom is f/2.0 - f/2.8, and the sensor has half the pixel pitch: this means that, wide open, the LX3 and the zooms get the same amount of photons per pixel, producing vaguely similar results. This is acknowledged by many in this forum, that indeed prefer the fixed, prime lens.

On the other hand, once you put a f/2.8 zoom on a m43 camera, the advantage of the small camera in great part goes away. My Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5 is not small, and I don't think it would get much smaller simply due to the mirror box assembly being removed from the camera -- I am sure the closer distance to sensor makes some optimizations possible, but a m45 with a 14-54 f/2.8-3.5 would always be a bulky camera, I suspect.

So I think in the end, removing the mirror box was the wrong solution: too little to gain; they should have shrunk the sensor as well, going to a smaller format, somewhere in between m43 and LX3, that would allow fast, great lenses to exist.

As it is, the day some other brand comes out with a camera with:

• Sensor of size in between m43 and LX3

• Good integrated zoom lens, something like (35mm equivalent) 24-100 f/2.8-3.5 (or better)

• HD video

The above would, I think, spell the end for m43.

-- hide signature --

Luca

LucaPCP's gear list:LucaPCP's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic LX100 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJN
BJN
BJN
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow