Feel Sorry for Leica: X1 blown out of water by Ricoh ?

Started Nov 10, 2009 | Discussions thread
iaredatsun Contributing Member • Posts: 732
Re: some comparisons

Jim Radcliffe wrote:

tom jacobson wrote:

Interesting comparisons. First, let me point out that I am not convinced that the X1 samples were processed or even taken all that well.

And if this is true.. I still can not understand why Leica did not have a talented photographer produce a gallery of X1 photos for the Leica website rather than let DPReview be the only site with production model photos. I just can't get over the short-sightedness of Leica in this area of marketing a new, highly anticipated camera.

When Andy Westlake explained in another thread that dpreview users didn't know how to interpret the x1 samples I was at the time swayed by his arguments and even went back and re-appreciated some of x1 samples (especially the colours of the close-ups and the macro with Tower Bridge in the background which I really liked).

But then Andy's arguments in defense of the x1 samples fail to explain why the Ricoh shots (to my eyes) generally simply look a lot better straight out of the camera than those of the x1. The majority (e.g architectural, portraits) have an alluring quality that many seemed to feel was missing from the x1. As an extreme example look at the 1600 ASA shots of the fruit and veg. The Ricoh's noise handling is exemplary and I have to say better than the x1 at this stage of the game.

I hope that the x1 samples are not representative of what it will be able to achieve in a production model and will wait for further evidence of what it can do.

iaredatsun's gear list:iaredatsun's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX100 Ricoh GR Digital +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tvw
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow