EPSON R-D1 first impressions and samples - ISO 1600 - ISO 6400

Started Nov 10, 2009 | Discussions thread
OP menos Senior Member • Posts: 1,439
EPSON R-D1 first impressions and samples - ISO 1600 - ISO 6400 - part II

I shot the entire evening @ ISO 1600 and will continue to do so (with film, I usually shoot @ ISO 3200 under such lighting conditions).

I had only a few moments with the camera and files so far but could not resist, to take one of the exemplary low light shots, I do most of the time (city life, very dark with strong light sources across the frame and quickly moving subjects) and dialed a +2 stop exposure correction (!!!) from ISO 1600 to ISO 6400 in without any further correction or processing.

ISO 1600 as exposed in camera:

ISO 6400, pushed JPG (!) by 2 stops in Lightroom 2.5:

unprocessed RAW file:

A 3 stop push to ISO 12400 was also easily possibly, but would need further corrections, as first banding fragments appeared in the extreme dark areas in the picture - I was too lazy for that now, but I promise, this will be the direction, where my usage of the R-D1 goes. Said banding @ ISO 12400 looked similar in excess to the banding, I get from Ricoh GRDIII files @ ISO 1600 in similar lighting conditions without any pushing. This is very impressive indeed.

I am very, very impressed too by the files in terms of highlight and black point quality. Without any adjustment only the slightest bit of blown highlights can be found, which can be corrected with the slightest adjustment even from the JPGs (this is not the case with my Nikon 12MP files from the D3 and D300).

A good example for this is the shot of the young woman, turning towards me in heavy traffic.

I exposed the shot for her dark clothes and wanted to create a flowing white traffic wall behind her with a slow shutter of 1/30. Her turning head was slightly to quick for the shutter though.

The file had NO BLOWN HIGHLIGHTS, except the slightest thin line around the overexposed area.

I have never seen that before! The EPSON seems to have a very wide margin, when it comes to overexposing highlights compared to my Nikon cameras, which I have to dial down 1/3 or 2/3 stops with exposure compensation in program modes.

When I started, to shoot more pushed Tri-X than my Nikon DSLRs, I did this explicitly because of the more robust files, I could extract from the negatives.

With the EPSON R-D1 though, it looks, as it is possible, to use the digital Rangefinder parallel to my Leica M with Tri-X without a quality downside.

I am so happy with the camera, that I might work on a small review with lots of photographs, when I find some time for it (my daily work has priority though).

Used processing: import, sharpening, slight (+ - 0.3 EV) exposure correction, export as JPG with sharpening for screen)

All BW frames are direct JPGs out of the camera itself (color set in camera to monochrome).
All color photographs are RAW files without any processing for color reference.
All frames were shot with the Leica 50mm f1.4 Summilux ASPH mostly wide open.

Please excuse, the lack of precise focus, as the rangefinder still needs to be adjusted. That is a project for the next free weekend (if there will be any ;-))

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow