Want to buy a new camera system. Have some questions.

Started Nov 8, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Adam51980 Junior Member • Posts: 45
Want to buy a new camera system. Have some questions.

I am currently shooting with an Olympus E-3 and their high end glass. I feel that their glass is some of the best available and that the system has many strengths but the auto focus in low light is really difficult at times. That and I cannot shoot above 800 iso with the camera due to banding and excessive noise. I tend to shoot in manual focus at weddings & receptions but would really like to have a system with better auto focus. I can deal with the noise but the focus hunting and false focus lock is really annoying. The olympus system is also lacking in dynamic range which isn't a huge deal if you nail the exposure.

I am interested in either a D700 and 24-70 F2.8 and 70-200 F2.8 or the Canon EOS 1D Mark III with 24-70 F2.8 and 70-200 F2.8. How is the auto focus on these cameras in low light situations? Also being that the 1D is not full frame will the two lenses I'm interested in work with that camera?

Here are a few photos taken with my Olympus gear. I feel that working within the constraints of my current gear has made me a better photographer and that my shooting will improve with a system more suited to my needs. I know that it is the photographer and not the camera and I feel that I am proof of that, but think that upgrading will only help me improve my craft.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow