K20d vs Nikon D90

Started Nov 3, 2009 | Discussions thread
DuncanM1 Contributing Member • Posts: 817
Re: The importance of DR - K20d beats D90

photogerald wrote:

cwtham wrote:

Do take note on this though. K20D isn't able to disable the DFS (dark frame subtraction) when you are doing a super long exposure. Having to capture 6-7 mins of exposure probably requires double the amount of time to get the final result.

I believe the K10D has this too, which I was dumbfounded the first time I tried my bulb mode for 10minutes. Which sorta felt like ages before I could see my result.

You're right about not being able to disable DFS on the K20D, however I was under the impression that you could disable it on the K10D (in the custom menu).

You certainly can disable the DFS on the K10D and I've done some test exposures with the lens capped for 60min with no auto DFS. The K20D only allows 8 seconds before it will do DFS automatically. The K7 and Kx will allow up to 30 seconds before doing an auto DFS. AFAIK, the K200D and KM are similar to the K10D.

If you are serious about astrophotography pick up a used K10D body. You could go one step further and have the IR filter removed.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow