D700: A Grand Camera

Started Nov 3, 2009 | Discussions thread
CamasJC
OP CamasJC Senior Member • Posts: 1,382
Re: Angle of View

Rad Dad wrote:

Beyond admiring the breathtaking scenery in your shots, I have tried to discern an appreciable difference between the angles of view between the two lenses, but have not been able to do so. Granted, the distance of the horizon may play a part in the visualization, as may a large structure in the foreground, as in #1. I have tried to use the cloud formations as a guide, as well.

Am I missing something, or should I get my glasses checked?

Greetings and thanks for writing. I presume you mean 'angle of view' as defined here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle_of_view Frankly I have no idea how I'd go about estimating that by looking at photographs of unfamiliar subjects that are far beyond my reach.

The best way to compare lenses for AOV would be to photograph the same subjects from the same point, and then compare the images side by side. Obviously I have no such photographs since I was there to capture my subjects as well I could, not to compare lenses. My rule of thumb is simple... if it doesn't fit, go wider In actual usage, yes, the difference between 24mm and 14mm is quite significant as you might expect. And the further away you are from your subject the more significant it becomes

Would I recommend the 14-24 for coverage and quality? Let me put it this way: if you like the 24-70 you will absolutely love the 14-24. Obviously at the 14mm end there is some geometric distrotion but that is easily correctable in post. Considering the cost, my best advice to you would be to rent a 14-24 for a day and see if the extra coverage & wider perspective is worth it to you.

I hope this helps (?)

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
eNo
eNo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow