I can't decide on a tripod :o(

Started Oct 29, 2009 | Discussions thread
OP Fiona80 Regular Member • Posts: 170
Re: I can't decide on a tripod :o(

Hiya,

Thanks very much for all your responses, I found the info you had to share very useful!

I am just so tired (and bored!!) of reading about tripods!! Must come to a decision soon!

Okay, this is what I've sortof decided.......

I'm going to go with Manfrotto simply because I can't seem to find Gitzo anywhere in the UK (apart from on amazon) and I want a brand that I can have easy access to in case I need spare parts etc etc. Manfrotto seems to be readily available in several photo shops so I'll go with that brand I think.

I was looking at the following:

190CXPRO3
190CXPRO4
055CXPRO3
055CXPRO4
190XPROB

I've decided a three section tripod is more stable than a four section one so I've narrowed it down further to

190CXPRO3
055CXPRO3
190XPROB

The 190CXPRO3 and the 190XPROB have a load capacity of 5kg while the 055CXPRO3 has one of 8kg. The 190CXPRO3 is the lightest (1.3kg) whilst the other two are 1.65kg (055CXPRO3) and 1.8kg (190XPROB).

I don't know what to get. The 190CXPRO3 is the most compact but I'm more interested in stability than I am portability I guess. Sort of. Not really. I don't know!! lol. I'm constantly changing my mind about what's more important (stability or portability). The PROB is the cheapest and that's because it's not a carbon fibre make. I'm happy to pay more for one of the carbon models if they are just as sturdy.

If I knew the 190CXPRO3 was sturdy and supported my 100-400L well, I would buy it, despite the fact that it costs considerably more (I figure everything camera-related I've bought thus far costs a fortune so I may aswell continue the trend!!). But I think that the 055CXPRO3 is better than the 190CXPRO3 -based on reviews I have read and the fact that the 055CXPRO3 supports a larger load capacity (plus Scott Kelby recommends the 055CXPRO3 in his book!!)

Hmmmm......

Then there's the ball head. I was using the Manfrotto comparison website and it seems to think that the 488RC2 (medium-sized head) is the most appropriate ballhead to support my 100-400L. At least that's what I can gather. The other head that seems good is the 484RC2 (I'm not sure if this is too small for my 100-400L -the interactive website seems to think it is but obviously people have used this head with a long lens and it works well). Both of these have those quick release plates which I also want.

If I put cost aside for the moment, what do you think is the best combo?

I have a tendency to go for the smallest/lightest and so I would like the 190CXPRO3 + the 484RC2 -but this may be a crap combination, I don't really know.
At the same time though, I think the 055CXPRO3 + 488RC2 is a good combo.

I really have no idea!!

I think I will sleep on it and see how I feel in the morning. Really would like to pick one and order it by the end of this weekend cos I'm wasting far too much time on this decision and I prefer to be out shooting before it's freezing outside!!

Thanks again!

Oh, btw, I do want a monopod, yes, but I want to get a tripod first. A tripod will help teach me how to use my camera better.....eg with night scenes etc, so I want to concentrate on the tripod for the moment.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow