S90: Best use for fron lens ring?

Started Oct 29, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jasontb Regular Member • Posts: 145
S90: Best use for fron lens ring?

I made a thread earlier where I said that I wished that other buttons would act as modifiers for the front lens ring:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1010&thread=33519429

That really got me thinking. What is the most efficient use of the front lens ring. I think the answer is ISO. I, personally, want the quickest and easiest access to ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. I think you get that when the fron ring is set to ISO.

M mode: Front ring icontrolls ISO. Rear wheel controlls aperture and shutter speed. Toggle between the two by simply pressing 'up'

P mode: Front ring controlls ISO. Rear wheel controlls exposure compensation

Tv and Av modes: Front ring controlls ISO. Rear wheel controlls exposure compensation and either shutter speed or aperture (depending on if you are in Tv or Av) and you toggle between the two by simply pressing up.

A bit of an asside, but why on earth does the role I have selected for the front lens ring not depend on the mode I am in? I would like to be able to select, for example, ISO for manual mode and aperture for Av mode. More things for CHDK to fix...

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow