Sending my 7D back to Canon

Started Oct 29, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bobkeenan
bobkeenan Contributing Member • Posts: 716
Sending my 7D back to Canon

I have never spent so much time trying to understand the AF focus issues of a camera.... I really wanted to fix it myself I tried the hard reset, the moire target, the 45 degree target, the take pictures of a an item with different MA settings.... Finally bought lensalign lite. Spent the last 2 evenings playing with that... neat little device.

But every time I did the MA process I would always get a major jump in the DOF as I progressed through the MA settings, when it should have been incremental with the small MA adjustment. So I would ignore the jump, pick the best MA... then go and take 20 random shots in the daylight and I would get maybe 50% OOF. I mostly saw it on my 17-55mm 2.8 but also on the 28mm 1.8 and less on the 85mm 1.8 and 70-300mm. And all of those lenses were great with my 50D.

I also shoot some microstock.... I was trying to convince myself that my shots were just as good as the 50D but my photo acceptance rate has significantly dropped with many more "out of focus or not focused on an area of interest".

Other than the focus issues I love the camera... Note that the live view contrast focus is sharp ALL THE TIME !!

So I just put in a repair request and it will go out tomorrow.....

One question.... should I send a lens with it? All my lenses? Just the lenses that are the worst??

bobkeenan's gear list:bobkeenan's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow