Canon Line Offset Noise

Started Oct 20, 2009 | Discussions thread
OP John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 22,838
Re: Let me just say...

xxD wrote:

JimH wrote:

You've clearly shown that it's relatively easy to reduce the vertical pattern noise in a 7D file. I have yet to see anyone offer a technical rebuttal to that.

relatively easy for black frames. "Real" photographs are a different matter. I'm not convinced it's all that easy for images containing unpredictable, complex data and if he's actually got an algorithm that's robust enough to work on arbitrary data sets.

I have a 7D now, so I will soon do a demo that includes a full range of tonal levels.

I have already explained in my reply to JimH that corrections on the level that I am doing can only mess up near-black ranges if done wrong. I doubt that anyone can dispute that if they really grasp what is going on. How much is a 0.5 to 2 ADU line-by-line correction going to harm a signal of 400 ADU, with a shot noise of 20 ADU? Or a signal of 11000 ADU with a shot noise of 105 ADU? The only consequences of doing it wrong, are near black.

-- hide signature --

John

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xxD
xxD
xxD
xxD
xxD
xxD
xxD
xxD
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow