Canon Line Offset Noise

Started Oct 20, 2009 | Discussions thread
Sylvain G Regular Member • Posts: 408
Re: Absolutely agree...

John, come on ! Stop this arguing, there is NOTHING to gain and NOBODY to convince.

Use this time building something for people who care ! Hell, I can even host it for you if you want!

John Sheehy wrote:

Mark H wrote:

John Sheehy wrote:

Mark H wrote:

No doubt quite a few thousand of the 7D are now in the hands of their new owners.

And how many of these thousands of 7Ds owners have encountered problems - certainly not   "a very high percentage" .

Who cares what the average photographer notices right away?

O.K. - just how long do you think it's going to take before all these "average photographer(s)" notice that their cameras are fine.

Fine for whom?

Or, do they really need to be some sort of "special photographer" (like yourself?) to notice that their cameras are bad?

They have to be visionaries, who want to push their cameras to the limits. If the limit is slop from the manufacturer, and not necessary noise, then they may be disappointed.

I seems that to you, every good camera is a potential 'bad camera' that is just waiting to be discovered.

I have very high ideals, and they're very realistic at the same time. Technology/budget realistic.

You appear to only care about your own 'agenda' - and you don't particularly care about potentially misrepresenting the wider situation in the process.

Thanks for using a loaded word like "agenda" that sounds suspicious - like as if I wanted something that would cost someone else something! What I want is good for everyone who wants to take advantage, and bad for no one. To call this an "agenda" is nothing more than a personal assault.

You, on the other hand, seem to want to make the corporations look respectful, and want it to look like they are doing all they reasonably should to give us quality for our hard-earned dollars, at the expense of those who don't want to see patterns in the RAW data; unnecessary patterns whose existence you defend.

You said...

John Sheehy wrote:

We have simply seen a very high percentage of poorly balanced gains in the first few 7D.

...which is a statement that, potentially, grossly misrepresents the wider situation.

Really? I said "few"; are you illiterate? Few can mean nothing but small sample, so I said clearly that this was a small sample, yet you try to create the illusion that I was trying to substitute comments about a small sample where a large one is assumed. That is a pathetic attempt at character assassination.

How representative of the 'population' is your very small, narrow (and almost certainly distorted) 'sample' likely to be - nowhere near sufficient to be representative, I would strongly contend.

I said "few"; why do you need to act you're whittling it down to a "few", too, as if you're doing an expose? Pathetic.

Exactly how many of the several tens of thousands of 7Ds out there have you seen with "poorly balanced gains" (or is it 'offsets', or both, or...) - it is certainly not   "a very high percentage" of the greater population.

My comment was about the first "few", and never hinted at being about anything else. You are the one who pretended that "few" was hidden.

P.S. Just in case you might have overlooked this - will you be answering the question/request I ask of you earlier in this thread... http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=33443889 ...anytime soon?

I guess I'm not in a rush to prove that to you, because I know I'm right, and if you do your research, you will find the same. I've measured these myself; Roger Clark has, too.

At ISO 200 saturation, the 1D2/5D has 26,150 electrons, the 20D, 25,500. All meter at 1/3 stop higher ISO than stated, all have 3.5 stops of headroom in the RAW data.

Why don't you do a "screen" (pixel level) comparison of the 20D, 5D, and 1D2N at DxOMark? They're virtually triplets, except that the 1D2N has better DR (lower read noise) at low ISOs!

-- hide signature --

my 'review' of the Olympus PEN E-P1 - http://www.catbag.net/wp/?p=173

Sylvain G's gear list:Sylvain G's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xxD
xxD
xxD
xxD
xxD
xxD
xxD
xxD
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow