Intimidated by the SLR Guests???

Started Oct 14, 2009 | Discussions thread
Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Veteran Member • Posts: 9,029
Nope.

I get a lot of comments from clients & guests at the end of a wedding to the effect that:

1) The photos are going to be great, and
2) I really worked my butt off.

How do they know the photos are great before anyone's seen 'em? They know because they see me at the right times and in the right places, getting all the angles, using bounce- and off-camera flash, and catching peak action from different positions. They see that I'm committed and looking for unusual shots. It wouldn't matter if I used my LX-3 or a Holga. It's the pride in my work that marks me as the professional.

If there are guests with cameras who are committed to the B&G's happiness, that's all the better for my clients, as it means I can spend less time doing table shots and more time doing what I really want - making special shots that will actually make it into the album. I never have a real problem with there being too many cameras around. If I need to squeeze through a crowd on the dance floor, people let me through. If a guest photog is distracting my posed group, it's usually enough to put my camera down and politely watch as they fiddle with theirs for about 15 seconds. Everyone quickly realizes that we don't have all day, the distractions go away, and I have the group's full attention.

A competent guest photog isn't a threat. S/he's a backstop and a source of good ideas. The end goal is great photos for the clients, regardless of who makes them.

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +29 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow