Canon Line Offset Noise

Started Oct 20, 2009 | Discussions thread
Mark H
Mark H Veteran Member • Posts: 3,803
Seriously doubt it's that simple...

Your description makes it sound simple - but the underlying 'problem' probably isn't.

I seriously doubt that Canon are simply neglecting to do something that basic and simple.

As I'm sure you know, Canon's sensor technologies are quite sophisticated - supposedly with both 'fixed pattern noise' and 'random noise' reduction mechanisms built in to their CMOS sensor designs, on a per-pixel basis.

http://www.usa.canon.com/uploadedimages/FCK/Image/White%20Papers/Canon_CMOS_WP.pdf

Perhaps 'the problem' here is quite simply that there is a fault and/or quality issue.

You point out yourself that the 'masked' pixels in the top '~32 rows' don't work as an effective 'mask' for subtraction - there probably is an explanation for this, but we will probably never know it.

Developing that idea though (purely hypothetically) - possibly, a subtraction has already been carried out on the main unmasked area, and you might therefore be trying to double subtract - but at this stage I/we are just extrapolating on speculation.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xxD
xxD
xxD
xxD
xxD
xxD
xxD
xxD
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow